Monday, July 27, 2015

Brushes 101: Cleaning/Do and Don’ts/Language




   There are all sorts of ways to clean your brushes and sponges. When I started playing with makeup brushes, I didn’t really understand the importance of cleaning them. The difference between deep cleaning and spot cleaning my brushes was a bit confusing. Fast forward to present day… if I talk to someone who isn’t into makeup or has never heard of cleaning their brushes (yes, it has happened), I get a confused look. Maybe it seems like a no-brainer to some but in reality there are some who don’t know the difference and that’s okay. I was there, we all were. 

Language

Deep cleaning is really getting in those bristles and cleaning them with water. The drying time for this is usually an overnight waiting period.

Spot cleaning is what I call a ‘quick clean’. Cleaning the brush by whipping it on a tissue (cleaner optional) and re-using the brush.

Do and Don’ts

Do clean your brushes
Don’t let them sit too long with out cleaning them (makeup can stain them)
Do spot clean
Don’t forget to let them completely dry when washing them
Do take care of your brushes
Don’t get the barrel wet (the part where the bristles meet the handle)
Do invest in brush guards
Don’t not clean your brushes, you could catch and eye infection by not cleaning your brushes

Deep Cleaning…

Sponges: I use Sephora’s Dry Clean Solid Brush Cleaner ($14), which has a bit more product than the Beauty Blender Solid Cleaner. Wet the sponge and rub the sponge against the solid bar of soap. Rinse the sponge under water, ring it out and set aside to dry. 

Brushes: I have used all the methods below and I feel I end up with the same results with all of them. Here are a few I’ve used.
1.    Dish Washing Soap & Olive Oil… Pour half dishwashing soap like Dawn and half olive oil on small plate (I use a paper plate). The olive oil conditions the brush with the dishwashing soap takes out the entire gunk
2.    Koh Gen Do Brush Cleaner…This may be discontinued but I place a little on my hand and work the brush around in my hand.


Spot Cleaning…
I have used three different spot cleaners and I recommend them all. They all clean the brush really well. To spot clean, I spray two –three sprays on a brush and go back and forth motions on a towel (I use solely to wipe brushes) or a tissue.

1.    Cinema Secrets Makeup Brush Cleaner
2.    Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner
3.    Dante Makeup Brush Cleaner


Tools…
I can’t stand washing brushes in my hand. I bought Sigma’s Brush Glove. I heard a lot of bad reviews about it and a few good reviews… I LOVE IT. If you are like me and you don’t want the chemicals from brush cleaner on your hand then you’ll enjoy this. Not to mention I can clean more than one brush at a time. I also use brush guards to keep the shape of the brush intact. I’ve spent money on good brushes and would like to keep them for as long as I can. Places the brush guards on the brush right after washing. Also, when you’re drying your brushes make sure you have the brush at a downward angle. This will keep water from enter the area where the bristles meet the handle. The last thing you want is for the glue to because undone.

Hopefully this has helped you or reminded you to clean your brushes.

-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment